Preserving food so that it does not rot or lose flavor and, at the same time, being able to manage it according to the needs of each house is essential in all families. However, sometimes doubts arise about whether or not certain foods can be frozen.
For example, this is the case of eggs, a very important ingredient in the gastronomy of many countries and of which many people have doubts about whether it is advisable to freeze it or not. If you want to know how to freeze eggs, both fresh and cooked, and more details about them, do not hesitate to continue because here we explain it to you.
How to Freeze Eggs?
It is likely that, on more than one occasion, you have bought more eggs than you need and you do not know how to keep them in good condition or if you can freeze them. The answer is clear: you can keep eggs in the freezer but under a number of conditions.
- The essential factor to consider when freezing eggs is their condition, that is, whether they are fresh or cooked. As with all foods, it is always best to keep them fresh to avoid texture and taste problems.
- Another rule that you must always comply with is that you should never freeze shell eggs. Otherwise, they are very likely to explode due to the increase in the volume of the interior content. You should throw them all away and clean the stained parts of the freezer.
- You should also not freeze hard-boiled eggs because the whites acquire a rubber-like texture after thawing, making them unpleasant to consume.
You may like also: 12 Foods That Give You Energy All Day to Stay Fit
Freeze Boiled Eggs
Yes, cooked eggs can also be frozen. Still, you should be aware that it is not the best way because the texture and flavor can change a lot, making the consumption of these eggs not as pleasant as that of the fresh ones. There are several ways to freeze cooked eggs. Here, we highlight two of the most important:
After cooking the eggs, chop them as thin as possible and mix them in recipes, such as a salad. In this way, you will be able to partially avoid the loss of the original texture and flavor as it is already combined with other foods and very chopped.
Another way is to separate the yolk from the white and freeze both parts in different bags. The yolk manages to withstand freezing better than the white in cooked eggs. Therefore, at least you can take better advantage of the yolk if the texture and flavor of the white do not convince you when you decide to defrost it to eat it.
You might like also: How to reheat tamales
Freeze Fresh Eggs
Now that you know that you can freeze this food in some ways, let’s move on to how eggs are frozen. It is evident, as with all foods, that the best way to freeze eggs is while they are fresh. In this way, you will enjoy more of the original flavor and texture as long as you comply with and respect the freezing processes.
- Open the eggs and pour the contents into a container such as an ice bucket or a similar container, with enough space in each space for the eggs to fit the whole. You can also use a specific container to make cupcakes.
- Put the container in the freezer and wait a few hours until they freeze.
- After checking that they have frozen, you can take them out and put them in a sealed bag to prevent them from absorbing other odors, and thus you can keep them stored in the freezer without problems.
How long can the egg be frozen?
After figuring out how to freeze them, it’s important for you to know the freezing times of eggs based on their status:
- Separate fresh egg whites: You can keep them in the freezer for up to 12 months before consuming them. You have to beat the yolks beforehand with the whites if you want to freeze them correctly.
- Fresh raw eggs: hold 12 months maximum in the freezer before eating.
- Cooked Eggs: You can freeze dishes with the presence of cooked eggs for an interval of 2 to 3 months.