If you are looking for paradise on earth, Cozumel, Mexico may just be it. Located off the Eastern coast of Mexico, Cozumel is a little island in the Caribbean Sea – not only do you get the magic of Mexico’s traditions, but you also get the Yucatan Peninsula’s warm breezes and tropical weather.
Just take two steps into the crystal blue waters and all of your cares will go away. Plus, because Cozumel is located so far from any major city, you don’t need to worry about some of the crime issues that plague other parts of the country. However, this still means you have to be careful when you travel to Mexico. Here are five Cozumel, Mexico travel planning tips.
You may like also: City of eternal springs
- Bring cash, but not too much cash and have some safe credit cards on hand. When you travel to Cozumel, you don’t want to bring too much cash because that can present an opportunity to pickpockets. Plus, you don’t want to be left without any money at all. You also want to call your bank and make sure that they know you will be traveling internationally – you don’t want your debit and credit cards to be frozen.
- Pack comfortable walking shoes. Cozumel is not the most well paved locale. Plus, many of the roads are sizzling hot from baking in the sun all day long. Ideally, you want to bring walking shoes that allow your feet to breath. Also, lots of traction is important because you will be traversing cobbled roads, unpaved roads and other rocky terrain. More than anything, though, you will be doing a lot of walking in Cozumel, so you want your feet to be as comfortable as possible – having sore feet can decrease your enjoyment of the journey.
- Stock up on plenty of sunblock. Cozumel is hot, sunny and the UV rays will be pouring down all day long. If you have fair skin, there is a good chance that you will get severely burned if you aren’t wearing sunblock. If you are going to the beach, it is important to bring waterproof sunblock – but remember that you will have to reapply regularly throughout the day, because the rough seawater will wash most of it away.
- Schedule a tour. One of the best ways to experience Cozumel and all its wonders is to schedule a tour – from a tour guide service. Taking a tour is much more efficient than heading out on your own, because you won’t need to worry about getting lost or winding up in some strange part of the island. A tour will also be fun because you get to see more sights in a single day.
- Pack lightly. It is important to pack lightly, because you will be doing a lot of moving around – not only as you are traveling to Cozumel, but also when you are on the island. You certainly won’t want a heavy bag to lug around with you. In the end, if you’retraveling to Mexico, it shouldn’t be a time for heavy lifting, it’s the time to relax!