Acupuncture is an ancient form of medicine that dates back thousands of years. In fact, it originated in China where soldiers suffering from psychic and physical wounds would receive treatment that consisted of strategically placing small needles in areas that would help alleviate the suffering. Many people think of needles and imagine acupuncture to be painful, but it is actually quite the opposite and it can be quite effective. Acupuncture treatment is now offered across the world and many people tout its healing powers for a wide variety of ailments – from chronic pain to disease. Here are five common conditions treated with acupuncture.
- Sinus pain or congestion. Sinus issues can be incredibly painful, especially if the pain becomes chronic. Usually, though, sinus discomfort and congestion occurs either in the winter or in the spring – during allergy season. During these times, you may want to think about receiving acupuncture to alleviate the pain and pressure felt in your sinuses, which are located around the bridge of your nose. If you are feeling sinus pain – even if it is chronic – acupuncture could bring either added relief or it can be used in conjunction with more traditional forms of medicine.
- Back strain and discomfort. A lot of people work in positions that aren’t so great for their backs. For instance, people who use a computer for their jobs may be slouched or hunched over for much of the day. And those who work on their feet, may start to feel the brunt of the pressure and weight on their lower back. So, you may want to think about finding a wellness healing center, that specializes in holistic medicine – specifically acupuncture. Be receiving acupuncture in or around the areas in your back that are in pain, you may find a tremendous amount of relief.
- Heartburn or acid reflux disease. Heartburn and acid reflux are two conditions that can become debilitating and can affect your quality of life if you don’t get help or find a way to alleviate the symptoms. The conditions basically cause your stomach acids to reach into the esophagus during digestion, which can cause a tremendous amount of pain. Acupuncture can be used to not only alleviate the pain, but also to help the digestive process.
- Chronic migraines. Another debilitating condition is chronic migraines. Usually, this condition is caused by an excess amount of pressure in the capillaries around the head, which can make your brain feel like it’s swelling. Luckily, it is not in actuality, but you do want to find relief for the blood vessels. This relief can be found with acupuncture. If traditional analgesics and pain relievers don’t work, acupuncture may be a great option.
- Stress related conditions. Stress is one of the most common ailments in modern times. Work, money, life, the environment – it is stressing everyone out. Stress releases cortisol, which can start to wreak havoc on the body – causing numerous subsequent problems that can even be life threatening. In the end, alleviating the stress in the first place is the best place to start, which is why acupuncture can be such a low impact and affordable way to reduce your stress and live a healthier life.